The Chill Out Forums

Hello guest. Welcome to The Chillout Forums! We recommend you register to have a better experience on our forum.

How to make a circular avatar in gimp.

Brian
    Administrator

Male Number of posts : 9138
    Hobbies : Everything that I like to do!
    Humour : Undefined
    Status Message : AcTiVe!!!
    Registration date : 2007-12-07

How to make a circular avatar in gimp.

Post by Brian on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:28 am

Circular avatar tutorial:
    Have you ever seen my avatars? Some of you really like them and I have decided to make this tut to show you how to make them [gimp]1. Open gimp. Make a new image with the size 120X1202. Fill the background with any gradient. Here is the one I used:
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    3. Now, go to a search engine and search for images like fractals, space, effects, c4ds, etc.4. Copy the images and make a layer for each one. Blend the layers together by doing things like overlay, screen, etc. (you can also use brushes)This is what I got:
    5. Now you can add gloss. Do an elipse select and get it to the way you want. Then use the doge tool to make it look glossy.
    6. Now time to make it into a circle. Do select all. Then go to the rectangle select tool>rounded corners>set it to 100.7. Copy what is selected, delete the layer, then paste the selection:
    8. To give it a better look, lets give it a drop shadow. Go to filters>light and shadow>drop shadow.9. Set: offset x:0 offset y:0 blur radius: 5 (keep all the other settings the same)
    10. Last but not least, lets add the text. Here is a good way to do the text:
    -pick a font
    -make the color white or black
    -type it in.
    -give it a good size
    -rotate it a little bit
    -use the paths tool to give it an outline
    -merge the text layer and the outline layer together and then set the merged layer to overlay.
    Congrats, you are done. You should get something like this:

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:43 am